Monday, June 1, 2009

What the Lord has done, Part 1

The Lord has done a lot in the last month in my life and I want to share it. As with anything with me, there's always lot of details. I'm breaking it up into 5 parts so it's easier to read and hopefully understand.


Here's Part 1 of the Recap of my 28 days with the Lord:


“Moses and the elders of Israel commanded the people: “Keep all these commands that I give you today. When you have crossed the Jordan into the land the Lord your God is giving you, set up some large stones and coat them with plaster. Write on them all the words of this law when you have crossed over to enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the Lord, the God of your fathers, promised you. And when you have crossed the Jordan, set up these stones on Mount Ebal, as I command you today, and coat them with plaster. Build there an altar to the Lord your God, an altar of stones. Do not use any iron tool upon them. Build the altar of the Lord your God with fieldstones and offer burnt offerings on it to the Lord your God. Sacrifice fellowship offerings there, eating them and rejoicing in the presence of the Lord your God. And you shall write very clearly all the words of this law on these stones you have set up.” Deuteronomy 27:1-8

On the first day of the 28 days I finally, after months of resisting the Lord’s prompting, went to BSF (Bible Study Fellowship). They had been studying the life of Moses since September and when I arrived Moses was just about to die. It was in the choosing of "Joshua" the one who proceded me and the results of that where the deepest hurt from Swaziland lie. While still in Swaziland I was steeped in the study of Moses, specifically what he did before he died and how he prepared Joshua. I practically applied what I learned from him and yet the "Joshua" the Lord appointed was quickly removed from leadership after I left. I was devastated and my conclusion was 1) Why did the Lord have me choose and prepare her if He knew it was going to end this way? 2) I must have done something wrong to have caused this. So basically I 1) questioned his character and 2) didn’t feel like what I had done was good enough - I had failed.

The practical application from the teaching of Deuteronomy 27 that night was “How are you going to remember all that the Lord has done?” I knew specifically for me it was “How was I going to remember what the Lord had done in Swaziland”? I went home that night and sat down with the Lord and wrote down 35 things off the top of my head that the Lord did IN and FOR me. Those I could stand on because I knew those for sure, it was what the Lord had done THROUGH me that I was unsure of. In the next two weeks the Lord had me “remembering” all of the things He had done by looking through pictures and reading old emails and blogs. I had forgotten so many things He had done. Practically, He had me begin to make a Shutterfly book of pictures that each represented one of the 35 things. These first two weeks were a beautiful time where the Lord was speaking and leading so clearly…

1 comment:

mary phillips said...

becca, i'm just crazy about you. love that you share so freely and beautifully your journey with the Lord, cherishing the valleys, even in the pain, and rejoicing on the mountains. blessings on your head, sweet one.