Monday, November 17, 2008

Lessons from Israel, Part 3, Christ words to me

I’m alive and well,

Your Spirit is within me

Because You died and rose again


“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?” 1 Corinthians 6:19

The song Amazing love says “your Spirit is within me” and Scripture proves that is true in 1 Corinthians 6. I’d known that Scripture, in fact, it was one of the key verses I used in Swaziland when teaching the girls about sexual purity. I knew it meant our bodies were of value to God and holy. THEN I went to the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem and the understanding that “my body is a temple of the Holy Spirit” took on new meaning. Jewish tradition teaches that the Wailing Wall is the only place where the presence of God is. After a Jew would pray at the wall they would then walk backwards so their backs wouldn’t face the wall out of reverence. Now of course, I don’t expect people to come pray to me or never turn their back to me but how blasphemous it would be to a Jewish person to say “I’m a temple of the Spirit of God”. I had known this truth but the weight of it now is substantial.

1 comment:

showstopper said...

His Glorious, Awesome Presence in me...wow, makes me think twice about stuff...I really hope I get to go to Israel one day...thanks for 'fighting with me', even from across the ocean!!!