Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What are you giving Christ for His birthday?

Every Christmas without fail I make it all about me, but it’s not my birthday. Growing up, when it was my birthday, my little sister would pout when she didn’t get gifts on my birthday. I’ve been that little sister to Christ and this year I want to give Christ something for His birthday. He is literally the person who has everything (like all authority in heaven and on earth) so what could I possibly give Him? What would Christ want for His birthday? Here’s what I believe Christ’s list would look like and I’ve included practical ways for you and your family to live this out.

1.Unity - When Jesus was still on earth He asked His Father for unity among future believers (John 17:20). When my sisters and I ask my mom what she wants for birthday she usually just wants all her kids to be together, implying we all have to be getting along (she knows when we are faking it). Practically: Forgive a brother or sister in Christ whom you harbor bitterness against or apologize to a fellow believer whom you have offended. You are not doing this for them but for Christ however you will also benefit from the freedom it will bring. Tangibly: Gift wrap a box, put a slit on the top, and label it “To Christ”. Write the person’s name whom the Lord wants you to forgive and put the name in the box symbolizing you giving that person and that hurt to Christ.

2. Love – Jesus said if we loved Him we would obey Him (John 14:15) and the greatest commandment we can obey is to love Him with everything we have (Matt. 22:37)! Practically: Ask Him an area in your life where you do not love Him, and surrender that to Him. When I asked Him that question, “mornings” popped in my mind. I have not been starting my day off with the Lord and I know that is something He wants me from me. Tangibly: Get a plain Christmas ornament and write on it “mornings” (or whatever he wants you to give up) and hang it on the tree. After Christmas, hang it in your house as a reminder.

3. Witnesses - The last time Jesus saw the disciples He told them the Holy Spirit has empowered ALL OF US as believers to be witnesses to those in our circle of influence, our enemies, and to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8). Practically: Be a witness to family members, friends or your kids’ friends, a co-worker or the hardest person to love. That person or group of people that just popped in your mind when you read that statement, that’s probably who He wants you to witness to this Christmas. Before you roll your eyes and let out a heavy sigh of dread, remember Christ promised ALL OF US as believers the Holy Spirit’s empowerment to do this. He didn’t just equip pastors or the “super spiritual” or only those with the gift of evangelism (that is always my “spiritual” excuse). Tangibly: Invite a non-believers to a brunch at your house and share your testimony. If you have young kids, you can invite their friends over and hide presents around your house that they have to find. Explain to the kids the way they sought out the presents, the Wise Men sought out Jesus Christ – the greatest gift. If the Lord is asking you to be a witness to the less fortunate, serve Christmas Dinner at FLOOD on December 19. If it is hard for you to get out of your house, put up a Christmas decoration like a nativity set or something that says “Jesus is the reason for the season” and use it is a conversation piece to share your faith when people come to visit you. Lastly, we don’t have to go to the ends of the earth, many people from what we would consider “the ends of the earth” live here in Bakersfield. I read a story about a Muslim woman in the U.S. who loved when the Christmas carolers came to her house. A friend of mine went Christmas caroling to Muslim neighbors as an avenue to share about the Jesus being sung about.

Please do me a favor and get on your knees right now and ask Christ what He wants from you for His birthday. The above suggestions I have heard or read about on internet sites I found when I typed searched for “Christ-centered Christmas” but do what He is asking of you. To take some of the pressure off, if you bring the gift of witnessing to a non-believer it says in Luke 15 there is great rejoicing in heaven when one sinner repents. Loosely interpreted, the heavenly hosts will take care of the party; we just have to bring a gift. Let’s commit that this Christmas we will give Christ the best birthday gift He has ever gotten from us.

No comments: