Thursday, January 1, 2009

More pics of Swaziland

It's been 9 days since i've been home and I thought the jet lag was over but I woke up at 2:30am and I'm still wide awake. I realized I never finished telling about my Swaziland trip...

Since it was "Christmas" (althought it was blazing hot) me, Julie, Jacci, and Zinty went to my favorite restaurant in Manzini and then exchanged some gifts. These girls are like my sisters, I love them to death.

We also couldn't help but notice how much Zinty looked like the reindeer on her bag. Seriously when I picked the bag up I knew Zinty's gift was going in there because she totally makes that face - can you see it?





Since the time I last left Swaziland, little Abbie Mae Mackie was born to my dear friend, Lauren (not pictured). This is at our missionary Christmas party but I went and spent a morning with Lauren and Abbie and she is precious - both of them are. I loved seeing Lauren as a mom and just that mom love overflowing on her infant. Lauren also has some great new insight into the Father's love for us now that she is a parent. She referenced the verse from Isaiah that goes something like "can a nursing mother forget her child? While she may forget, i will never forget you". Thanks Abbie for that little lesson.




One of the things I miss the most is the sights of Africa. I mentioned in the previous blog how I love seeing the women carrying things on their heads or people walking everywhere along the roads. Well here's another one. I love watching the women get their hair done. This is my friend, Thembi, doing her daughter's hair but my favorite is when the women are just sitting outside chatting and braiding each other's hair.





This is at Summerfield, a little restaurant that is in the middle of these botanical gardens that is about 5 minutes away from Swaziland's industrial sight. Thembi, Angel, and I went there for lunch and I was laughing because Thembi and Angel (the Swazis) had never been to this place that's less than 5 miles from their homes. Angel said "Becca, I think this is why you've come back to Swaziland, to show the Swazis their own country".



more to come...



1 comment:

merrill5 said...

That is too weird! I took my girls to Summerfield too before I left. And neither of them had been there! They do say it is Swazilands best kept secret.