Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Story of Gege: Part 4, Tear-soaked hugs

...continued from yesterday. This is part 4 of a 5 part blog to show God pouring out His tangible love on His own in Swaziland.


I walked into Make Zwane's house the morning of the Christmas party and there were stacks of 3lb. bags of rice and sugar (below) covering her living room.

Each identified orphan and elderly person in need was given a gift at the Christmas party. Below is a picture of everything the elderly people received. Left to right, starting in the back - rice, sugar, and candles (no electricity). In the front, left to right, matches, cooking oil, and tea bags. The bags for the children had a toy instead of the tea and candles and matches. What you need to understand also is the fact that they received rice is a big deal. Rice is a special treat for the people in Gege because it is expensive.

We, by 'we' i mean Phumlile and her sister (below), stuck all of the items in plastic bags. The 90 bags covered Make Zwane's living room floor so much that we couldn't walk which was especially challenging to me because I can hardly walk without falling in the first place.



As you can see from the sweet girl below, these bags were so heavy, I could barely lift them. I asked Make Zwane "If these people are so weak, how can they get these heavy bags home". "Oh, believe me", she said, "they will make a way".



And they did just that. How else do you get it home but put it on your head. I always said "I could never be a Swazi woman, my neck muscles aren't strong enough". Of course the women I talked about yesterday could not have done that; they had help.


The one in the front (picture below) is Make (Mah-gay, SiSwati for "Mrs.") Hlathwayo. Make Hlatwayo has lived in Gege and gone to this church about as long as Babe (Bah-bay, SiSwati for "Mr.") Zwane (see part 1 of this story for more on him). Anyway, Make Hlathwayo has become very good friends with Make (Mah-gay) Zwane and tells her the needs of the community. She also houses several orphans from the church in her home and other orphans in the neighborhood come to her house to eat one meal a day. I will never forget when we were passing out the gifts and Make Hlatwayo came up and hugged me and her face went against my chest and I felt her tears against my skin. I pulled back and she had tears streaming down her face and she pulled me in again for another hug and just said "thank you, thank you, so many people are so stingy, but you gave, thank you". I share that tear-soaked hug for all of you who gave because I got to physically receive it for you. As I looked around, most of the elderly women, although they were singing and dancing, had tears streaming down their sunkissed faces. And the ones who bypassed my handshake and went straight for the hug, squeezed like only grandmas can. Thank you for letting me be your representative.
Make Hlathwayo did cry but she also sang and worshiped the Lord and was absolutely hysterical. Here's a video, she's the one singing in the middle. Enjoy! I so wish we could just bust out like this with our voices in church and it sound this good.


1 comment:

Caroline said...

Becca, tell us about the blue and white outfits that the "Makes" are wearing.
Thank you for going in our place and for being God's instrument of blessing. Caroline